Argand Buys Brintons … and More
News for the week of July 10, 2017
Asset manager The Carlyle Group has sold Brintons Carpets Ltd. to private equity firm Argand Partners LP for an undisclosed sum. Carlyle—which was founded in Washington, D.C., and has 31 offices internationally—had owned the Kidderminster, U.K.-based manufacturer of woven and Axminster carpets since September 2011.
“The transformation Brintons has undertaken has been impressive, thanks to the efforts of our global team,” says Brintons ceo Duccio Baldi. “We now look ahead to this exciting new chapter, continuing Brintons’ tradition of high quality manufacturing, and working with Argand [which is based in New York and San Francisco] to build the brand further.”
Hyatt Hotels Corp. has introduced a new leadership structure for Miraval, a provider of wellness/mindfulness experiences that Hyatt acquired in January. As part of the move:
- Marc Ellin, Hyatt senior vice president, operations, Americas, will assume increased responsibilities for Miraval starting immediately, with plans to transition to the role of Miraval’s president and ceo in September.
- Steven Rudnitsky, Miraval’s current president and ceo, is leaving the company on Sept. 30.
- Three other Miraval executives—Tom Botts, chief marketing officer; Paul McCormick, senior vice president for Miraval operations; and Meredith Nicklas, corporate director of finance—will also depart upon completion of their transition-related tasks.
The Crypton Cos., a provider of performance fabrics, has hired Matt Targett as vice president of marketing for Crypton. In this newly created position, Targett will be based at the company’s office in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. Targett was previously vice president of digital customer experience at La-Z-Boy Inc.
Dallas-based multidisciplinary firm MatchLine Design Group has hired Erin Renée Bailey as a junior designer. The Texas native has experience in theater set design and stage management and holds a bachelor’s degree in interior design from the College of Visual Arts and Design at the University of North Texas. (The firm’s co-founder and principal, Lesley Hughes Wyman, was profiled as the Exit Interview subject in Boutique Design’s December 2016 edition.)
Hoteles City Express has appointed Mateo Mazal as chief operating officer. Previously, Mazal was chief operating officer of UVM Laureate International Universities. Prior to that, he acted as general manager of Vitro Cristal, a unit of glass manufacturer Grupo Vitro.
Covington, Kentucky-based hotel management company Commonwealth Hotels has taken the wraps off two properties:
- Following a multi-million dollar renovation, the 127-key Best Western Plus-Cincinnati Riverfront Downtown Area recently hosted a ribbon cutting ceremony. The interior and exterior remodel included the addition of 20 two-room suites. The hotel, which has been managed by Commonwealth since its debut in 1997, previously flew Hilton’s Hampton Inn flag.
- The 100-key Hampton Inn Atlanta Kennesaw recently opened. The new-build hotel is owned by Busbee Hotel LLC and features Hilton's Perfect Mix lobby design—which project participants say serves as an extension of the guest room for leisure and business travelers—as well as local photography and art that highlights the hotel's connection to the Kennesaw community.
Regent Hotels & Resorts has signed an agreement with Vietnamese developer BIM Group to manage Regent Phu Quoc, a hotel and residential development planned for the country’s largest island. Slated to debut in 2019, the 400-key waterfront locale will mark the hotelier’s ninth property, as well as its third mixed-use complex to include both a hotel and luxury residences.
A unit of Tropicana Entertainment Inc. has acquired The Chelsea Hotel in Atlantic City, New Jersey, for an undisclosed price. The buyer plans to integrate the hotel into the adjoining Tropicana Atlantic City as The Chelsea Tower at Tropicana Atlantic City. Slated to reopen in August, the property consists of a 20-story oceanfront tower and an adjoining low-rise hotel that have a combined total of 330 guest rooms.