Anantara Angkor Resort Debuts New Look … and More
News for the week of April 3, 2017
The Anantara Angkor Resort has reopened in Siem Reap, Cambodia, following an extensive renovation of the all-suite boutique property’s accommodations, restaurants and public spaces.
Each of the resort’s 39 suites are now accented with teak wood trimmings and sandstone sculptures reminiscent of the famed Apsara dancers. The Anantara and Sothea Suites feature private gardens and bathrooms with twin wardrobes and vanity units, a rain shower and water closet, and an en-suite spa room. The Sothea accommodation is also decked out with a whirlpool Jacuzzi bath.
Hirsch Bedner Associates (HBA) has promoted Constantina Tsoutsikou to senior associate at the group’s London studio. She joined the international hospitality interior design firm in 2005.
The Light Annex, a unit of Los Angeles-based lighting manufacturer iWorks, has hired Lee Szromba as president. He was previously vice president of sales at Hallmark Lighting.
MGM Resorts Intl. has named Aaron Fischer chief strategy officer. Fischer, who is currently based in Hong Kong and serving as senior vice president of corporate development for the company, has been working closely on strategies for the development of integrated resorts in Asia. He will relocate to the company's corporate headquarters in Las Vegas.
Empire Resorts Inc. has appointed Ryan Eller president and chief operating officer. Prior to joining the company, Eller spent four years serving in executive positions with Genting New York LLC, which operates Resorts World Casino New York City.
Sumindi Peiris has joined Hilton as vice president of global marketing, luxury & lifestyle brands. Peiris was previously vice president, global director for Johnnie Walker Reserve in Singapore.
BBGM Architects has designed a 14-story Residence Inn hotel building that’s planned for Silver Spring, Maryland. The firm drew inspiration from local history to create the new 173-key structure, which will feature 5,000 sq. ft. of meeting space and a rooftop terrace. Construction is slated to start in December and be completed in 2020.
Hospitality Ventures Management Group (HVMG), an Atlanta-based hotel investment, ownership and management company, announced eight renovation and construction projects, three of which were completed recently. That work, which represents a total investment of $110 million, includes:
• 287-key Atlanta Marriott Century Center/Emory Area: HVMG will oversee a renovation of the property’s public spaces, meeting areas and guest rooms. Work will start this summer and the renovation is scheduled to be completed by mid-January 2018.
• 226-key Hilton Phoenix Suites: The company is converting the hotel from a Hilton to the Embassy Suites brand and plans to add 16 rooms. The property will also undergo a refurbishment of all public spaces, meeting areas and accommodations. The project is slated for completion in November.
- 308-key Marriott Winston-Salem in North Carolina: HVMG will begin renovations of all guest rooms, as well as updates to the exterior, this summer. The revamp is expected to be finished by February 2018.
- 163-key Hotel in Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, Florida: The company is overseeing a renovation of all accommodations and public spaces, as well as exterior enhancements. The project is scheduled to commence soon with a targeted completion of early 2019.
- 139-key DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Mahwah in New Jersey: The hotel is undergoing a partial renovation of all guest and public areas that is expected to continue through this summer.
- 261-key Embassy Suites by Hilton Atlanta Galleria: HVMG has completed an $11.65-million renovation of the hotel that included a reconfiguration of its lobby—including a new art installation and a new dining outlet, E’terie—as well as expanded meeting and gathering space, guest room and bathroom renovations, and exterior updates.
- 32-key SpringHill Suites Orange Beach at the Wharf in Alabama: The company has finalized the development and project management of the new-build hotel, which includes a destination restaurant, a full-service bar, an outdoor patio, 3,000 sq. ft. of meeting space, an oversized lobby, a fitness center and a resort-style pool.
- 138-room DoubleTree Nashville Airport: The property is undergoing a complete renovation of its exterior façade, public spaces, meeting areas, circulation areas and guest rooms. The project began in May of last year and is scheduled to be completed in November.
Two fabric companies—The Robert Allen Group and Duralee—have merged and are now divisions of a newly formed company: The Robert Allen Duralee Group (The RAD Group). Duralee executive Lee Silberman has been named ceo of the combined company. The Robert Allen Group was owned by investment firm Altamont Capital Partners prior to the merger, and Altamont will continue to serve as a financial partner to the Hauppauge, New York-based group. Financial terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
Winners of the second annual Serviced Apartment Awards recently celebrated in London following a gala at the Grange Hotel Tower Bridge. The awards were judged by an independent panel of travel buyers, journalists and service providers, and received more than 200 entries. Two categories, Rising Star and Industry Inspiration, were voted for by Serviced Apartment News readers via an online poll. The 18 award winners are:
- Rising Star Award: Nicolas Dubas, Cycas Hospitality
- Industry Inspiration Award: Charlie McCrow, The Apartment Service
- Best Agent: Acomodeo
- Best Aparthotel: Zoku Amsterdam
- Best Architecture/External Design: NEST Geneva
- Best Branded Residence: 4 Cornwall Gardens - The Harrington Collection
- Best Extended Stay Hotel: AKA Sutton Place
- Best Independent Operator: Clarendon Serviced Apartments
- Best Innovation/Disruption: Airportr
- Best Interior Design: Oakwood Studios Singapore
- Best International Operator: BridgeStreet Global Hospitality
- Best Marketing or Branding Campaign: Apple Apartments
- Best Sales/Account Management Team: Zoku Amsterdam
- Best Service Provider: ElinaPMS
- Best Serviced Apartment: Staybridge Suites London - Stratford City
- Best Short-Term Rental Platform/Operator: Hostmaker
- Best Use of Social Media: Apple Apartments
- Best Use of Technology: ReloQuest